Percy Slack

Private Percy Slack was born in 1897, the son of Thomas and Jessie Slack of Little Moss Farm, Great Warford.

Although he  attested at Wilmslow on the 10th December 1915, into the Army Reserve, aged 18 years and 5 months, he was not mobilized until August 1918, when he became a member of the 1st Battalion Tank Corps, Regimental No: 310571.  He was posted to the Tank Depot at Wareham for training.

Tanks were used for the first time in action at the Battle of the Somme on the 15th September 1916.   They were initially known as the Heavy Branch Machine Gun Corps.

By 1918, the tank had gone through various developments and when Percy joined the Battalion he is likely to have become familiar with the Mark V model which came into service in July of that year:

Mark V Tank, courtesy of the Bovington Tank Museum, Dorset

Mark V Tank, courtesy of the Bovington Tank Museum, Dorset

 

The Battle of Amiens  which began on 8th August 1918, was the beginning of what became known as the Hundred Days Offensive, that ultimately led to the end of the First World War.    The might of 450 Allied Tanks took part in the offensive, where they were able to penetrate deep into the German defensives, though losses were significant and it took some time to reassemble.

It appears that Percy joined his company in late October 1918, luckily for him, with Armistice Day merely weeks away.

 

He was awarded the British War Medal for serving in a theatre of war, or rendered service overseas between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918.

He was awarded the Victory Medal for service in any operational theatre between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. It was issued to individuals who received the 1914 and 1914-15 Stars and to most individuals who were issued the British War Medal.

Before he had left he had married Lily Worthington and had a son, George Percival.  He later had two further sons Thomas Charles and Frank Gerald,  and on his return from active service, returned to live and work at Little Moss Farm right up to his death on 16 May 1964.

 

 3,365 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *