Anocats Convalescent Home was built in Warford in 1903 as an extension of the care given to patients at Ancoats Hospital in Manchester, which ran from 1873 to 1967.
This started out as Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary which opened in 1828. At this time the Dispensary contained no beds for treating patients; people were either treated as out-patients or visited at home.
Beds were later installed and the organisation upgraded to a hospital when it moved to larger premises on Mill Street.
Unlike many infirmaries, Ancoats was funded by benefactors and regular subscriptions and this was coordinated by a Workpeoples Fund Committee.
One benefactor, Mrs Crossley donated a significant amount which paid for the convalescent home in Warford to be built on land donated by the David Lewis Trust.
It was thought that the fresh air and green surroundings of the Cheshire village would be an ideal place for those recuperating from serious illnesses such as tuberculosis and polio, away from the pollution and disease of the city.
In later years the building also housed injured soldiers from the front , but closed in 1967. A series of short term healthcare uses followed but the building is now private appartments.
The main building above was accessed through a lodge, shown below:
28,381 total views, 2 views today